Tuesday, May 17, 2011

A Visit to the Scrap Yard

I would like to state for the record that I looked cute yesterday. Navy slacks, navy blouse, black high-heeled boots. I looked professional and mature and real cute. Then I decided to visit the scrap yard with Jon at lunchtime.

I can not say my outfit served me well.

Jon and I were hunting for something to make gates for our back fence project. We need two pieces, both 6 feet tall, but one 5 feet wide and the other only 4 feet wide.

So on a rainy afternoon, we climbed through piles of steel and aluminum. We looked at old McDonald's doors, satellite dishes, a phone booth, highway signs and mailboxes, before we found a stack of steel punch-out sheets- industrial scrap. They were gloriously heavy and rusted. They were also the coolest.


The guys at the scrap yard graciously carved a path through the metal to get to the exact two pieces we had picked out. They even let us attach the chains to the metal sheets ourselves. Then we got to watch as the huge dinosaur-like machine moved our gates into the back of Jon's truck.

We hauled them back to the property and now they await our welder buddy, who will help us attach them to the fence to complete our project.

For those of you who have never visited Arcata Scrap and Salvage, might I suggest a visit? It is the best place of post-apocalyptic scavenger hunting in town. Even in heels.

No comments:

Post a Comment